Reputation is born within the subject of his world view that shapes his behavior. Reputation forms outside – in the interaction with the outside world – through actions of the reputation’s subject and discussion / lighting these acts in the information space.
Since subject’s actions like all the real-world objects are voluminous (multifaceted) for the subject’s reputation angle and force with which they are covered is matter. Because the external observer judges the subject (his reputation) on the grounds of the subject in the light of information “spotlights”, and on what “shadow” he casts.
One of the key aspects of reputation’s building and management is media coverage of subject’s actions control. A key factor in action’s media coverage is the reliability or the audience confidence degree to the interpretation of the action that you offer. It is important to remember that every action has not only a “façade” but also a “shadow” which it casts in the information “spotlight” rays. In modern world the action’s consequences are dependent largely on media coverage.
This shows that reputation’s development and management tightly connected with such disciplines:
- Image-making – control of subject’s externally.
- Marketing – subject’s product management in the context of its interaction with customers (consumers) and the market (competitors).
- Media relations – media coverage control of the subject and his action.
And ensuring its interactions with the public authorities, shareholders, partners, and so on.
Since the reputation is the intentions’ credibility based on your actions, the key parameter is the accuracy of its objectives’ action in terms of the external observer. That is, an external observer (respondent audience) need to understand and to trust actions stated objectives made by the subject. Naturally, the visible action consequences should correspond with a certain achievement path to the stated purpose. Misleading or insufficiently reliable actions could (and usually lead) to the opposite effect – there is a lot of “information shadows” cast on the subject which may even close the primary image and tarnish his reputation as a whole.
Therefore one of the most important tasks of reputational development is the control over the subject actions.
Especially in news coverage and in a way of given greater reliability in the eyes of an external observer.
The main ways to achieve reliability:
- Sincerity – the real and declared action’s goals match.
- Detail’s amount – explicit, detailed action’s description in which each of the parts itself is reliable.
- Authority – action’s authenticity confirmation by reliable sources (with reliable reputation) or multiple sources.
- Consistency – action’s logic inherent compliance in the audience’s outlook.
- Massiveness – action’s media coverage density and activity.
- Reflexivity – action’s multiple reflections and coverage at different angles.
- Formality – action’s compliance to generally accepted standards and behaviors by respondent group.
To solve the problem of media coverage all available tools to work with the information space are in use. In reputational development, in particular, the following disciplines are used to describe in this capacity:
- Image-making – control of subject’s externally. It forms the subject’s outer image and his actions (products included) which correspond to the world view of the subject and do not contradict the perception of its reputation profile in the eyes of the key (dominant for the subject’s activities) respondent groups. At the same time the key to the image’s formation is precisely the subject’s world view, and existing stereotypes in respondent groups are influencing but not formed factors.
- Marketing – subject’s product management in the context of its interaction with customers (consumers) and the market (competitors). Marketing tools allows determine the current market’s position of the subject’s reputation and his products. And also (together with future development) to present (describe) future market’s prospects. Marketing tools can be used when coverage effectiveness evaluating, action’s transition in terms of cost / outcome (measurable in market).
- Media relations – media coverage control of the subject and his act. An important effect of reputational development is balanced coverage of the subject’s actions. Unlike linear (monolog, vertical) advertising campaigns, media coverage of the subject’s actions in the framework of reputation’s development is built on the principle of multi-vector communication and media dramatic composition (information campaign as a dramatic effect). That is, the communication based on the metatext’s principle where the individual elements are (projecting) acts for respondent groups from different angles, all of these elements are interconnected.
Classical PR, GR, IR and advertising are often used as control communications systems. Planning individual communication vectors and messages for each of them performed by the reputational development system.